Breeds List -
My pet is throwing up?
Why Chocolate is bad ? -
Get Rid Of Fleas -
Why is my dog throwing up? -
Believe it or not, vomiting (throwing up) is quite
common in dogs. Of course you are concerned about the health of your
pet. Please stay calm and don't panic.
Usually the dog just ate some bad food and this is natures way of getting rid of the problem. Pushing out whatever it is that is bothering the animal internally. The good news is that a dog throwing up is not usually a major health concern.
Although vomiting is a common occurrence in dogs, it can be challenging to find out the exact cause of the problem.
That's because vomiting is not a disease, but rather a symptom of an underlying ailment. If the dog continues to throw up for more than 8 hours it's time to consult a veterinarian.
Most commonly dog's will vomit right after eating. This occurs because the stomach is already irritated due to bile and gastric fluids before the dog eats.
The already-upset stomach has trouble handling the the added food. In some cases, canine stomach ulcers can form due to the chronic stomach irritation, resulting in even more discomfort and frequent emesis.
Medications like Pepcid AC, Zantac and Tagemet (active ingredient famotidine, cimetidine) are often prescribed in these cases. Consult a veterinarian if your dog is prone to throwing up.
What to do if my dog is throwing up? - Do not feed the dog food for 24 hours first. You need to give the digestive system a chance to rest.
Afterwards, start by giving the dog small amounts of water and see how the pet reacts. You can give the pet small amounts of water every 15 minutes if it has stopped vomiting for six hours.
Keep a close eye on the pet to see if symptoms worsen. Don't panic, stay calm, animals can get sick from time to time.
If the dog throws up again, do not give any more food or water for another six hours. If the stomach has settled and the dog is no longer throwing up, try feeding small amounts of plain food.
Boiled chicken, potatoes and rice would be a good choice as these foods can be easily digested.